High Wycombe 01494 358 169 
Reading 0118 359 3362 
Call Now 03300 552 608 
By Vicente Romano, Managing Director, EMS Electrical 
Electricity provides us with everything we need to live — lighting, heating and power — yet it is also dangerous. 
A poor electrical installation can cause a lot of damage, such as fires, electric shocks and power surges which damage equipment. 
For this reason, we can't stress enough that you really need to hire a qualified electrician to carry out your electrical work. 
A lot of people ask me this...! 
Does it matter whether you select a commercial or domestic electrician? 
Always my answer is: 
Well, that depends on the work you require! 
Domestic Electrical Services 
A qualified domestic electrician will be trained to ‘Part P’ level (you can request to see their Part P registration). 
This covers wiring regulations and competence in a range of inspection, testing, installation and rerouting, along with the replacement of electrical components that are required in residential settings. 
A qualified domestic electrician would be suitably trained to undertake such jobs as: 
Full kitchen wiring, including the installation of appliances 
Lighting design and installation (for interior and outdoor settings) 
Bathroom wiring, including the installation of underfloor heating and electric radiators 
The installation of additional sockets, switches or charging points 
Fuse box repairs or replacements 
It is important that your electrician provides an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) for any work they carry out. 
Check that this will be included as part of the service before deciding on who to hire. Keep it in a safe place when it is provided, it will be required if you ever decide to move house. 
Domestic Electrician for Landlords, even more nowadays, with the EICR requirements. 
For landlords, a domestic electrician can also provide the necessary electrical inspection and testing on your rental property. They will provide an Electrical Safety Certificate when they are assured that everything is safe and compliant. 
Whilst a landlord with rental properties is running a business, this is the only type of commercial work that should be undertaken by a domestic electrician. Work in shops, offices, schools, factories and public buildings needs to be carried out by a commercial electrician. 
Commercial Electrical Services 
The qualifications required to become a commercial electrician are more demanding because the individual will need to undertake a broader spectrum of electrical services. 
A new office complex might need air conditioning, electrical heating, emergency lighting and voice & data cabling. Other requirements could include: 
Fuse boards and 3 Phase Electrical Wiring Installations 
Electrical inspection and testing (PAT testing) 
Fitting and testing of fire alarms and security lighting 
Commercial Electrician for Residential Work 
The qualifications and experience needed to provide commercial electrical services mean that the electrician will be competent in undertaking any domestic tasks. 
Some companies/electricians will choose to focus solely on commercial work, but others, including EMS ELECTRICAL, enjoy the variety of working in both homes and businesses. 
If you want to rewire your kitchen as part of property renovation in Reading or the surrounding areas, or are keen to make an impact with lighting in your Henley-on-Thames retail unit for example, EMS ELECTRICAL is your local, fully qualified, insured and licensed electrician. 
We are also on hand to provide annual electrical inspection and testing for businesses throughout Berkshire. 
Get in touch today to arrange a FREE, no-obligation quote on 01183 593 362 or 
Tagged as: Electricians
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings